Hey hey, Happy Friday! I wanted to take a break from talking about why we eat our feelings sometimes, so I thought I’d write a fun post today. In list format. Because it’s easy.
1. The other night I really needed to laugh, so I watched The Hangover for the 4,674 time while I caught up on some work. (Hey guys, you ready to let the dogs out?) God, I love Allen. Self-help-y advice like “go on a walk to relieve stress; call a friend when you are tempted to eat a pint of ice cream in one sitting; watch a funny movie when you are blue” sounds so incredibly cliche but…IT WORKS.
2. Monday night I had every intention to cook a nice dinner with plenty of green things on my plate. Well, I lost track of time chatting to my brother on the phone when I realized I had a client phone session to quickly prep for. So, a Greek yogurt bowl it was. It was the…yesImgonnasayit…bomb.
3. See? Told ya. In the bowl went blueberries + sunflower seeds + a crumbled banana-oatmeal cookie. Have you seen recipes for these cookies? Seems to be all the rage on health blogs these days. And I can see why. Making a tasty cookie without flour or eggs is pretty fantastic. Tasty is the operative word. Mine were…pretty good. I mixed 1 cup of rolled oats + 3/4 crushed dark chocolate Lindt bar + 2 smashed ripe bananas + almonds + a drizzle of pure maple syrup and baked the “cookies” in the oven for about 20 minutes at 400. As much as I love bananas, I didn’t like the strong taste in a hot cookie, so I decided to freeze them. I enjoyed them much more cold. Experimenting in the kitchen pays off! Whenever you think you have totally failed, think about how you can make the dish work differently.
4. I think I’m obsessed with pushups almost as much as I am with stretching. Which is a lot. In fact, it drives me absolutely insane when I see people at the gym cranking out pushups with horrible form. You know what I’m talking about…barely bent elbows…sinking hips. Do them on your knees until you’re ready, people! Ok, the Pushup Police has said her peace.
5. Luke surprised me with these cool kicks this week! I thought I was jumping on the wedge-sneakers trend a bit late, but lots of girls in NYC are still sporting them, so I guess I made the cut. Phew. I figured this style fell into the Man Repeller category, but Luke knows I’ve got a touch of Sporty Spice in me, so it’s really cute that he got them. Plus…OHMYGOD…I am thoroughly convinced they are the cure for plantar faciitis! My flat arches have never felt so good and supported!
6. Confession: I’ve never eaten a kiwi before…ever. Recently, I had to ask a co-worker to describe the taste for me for something I was writing. Ha!
7. I used to be a chocolate girl through and through, but over the years I have recently converted to vanilla. Vanilla buttercream, oh yes. Liza threw me a little engagement party last month and served this TO DIE for cake from my favorite bakery, Butter Lane. I’ve been dreaming about it ever since.
8. Pushups and stretching aside, my latest obsession is looking at what this blogger from 100 Days of Real Food puts in her kids’ school lunches. Follow her on Facebook and you just might understand why. (Or not?) This woman is unreal. In a good way. She makes her own whole wheat tortillas; sends her kiddos to school with frozen smoothie pops and hot homemade soup in their perfectly organized bento boxes AND gets them to eat their greens without a fuss. Dark…leafy…greens. This chick just may be my hero.
9. As we know, getting adequate sleep is important to your health (and waistline!) But would you believe it if I told you that my #1 motivating factor for hitting the sack early is because it means I get to eat breakfast sooner? Who can relate? Anyone? … Anyone? … Bueller?
10. Never have I ever…made a frittata. Every month I declare, “I’m making a frittata this weekend!” And alas…it has yet to happen. This Easter Sunday? Oh, it’s on. I’m making that frittata!
And this Latin American-inspired eggs benedict dish is simply for your viewing pleasure. I rarely going out drinking on the weekends these days, but brunch? Oh yes, I do brunch. I highly recommend Comodo in Soho!
*Need help with your health and lifestyle goals? Want to lose weight without obsessing about every bite you put into your mouth? I’m a Board Certified Health Coach + Emotional Eating Expert; contact me for a free consultation and let’s get started!